THE FARM

The Gibson family farm has been in our family since 1906. It has been a fully functioning farm the whole time. My Grandfather and Great-Grandfather grew mostly canola and durum, and for the past ten years my father has been raising sheep. Our farm is located in the south-west corner of Saskatchewan. I grew up mostly in the city of Saskatoon, spending my summers out at the farm. You could say I have a bit of farm-kid in me. The farm spans for hundreds of acres around the farmhouse, but the garden is just down a path through the yard. This is where the magic happens...

Wildflowers

    Is there anything quite so wholesome as picking wildflowers in a field? I felt like a little girl prancing about in the long grass, worry-free and happy. Now, when I pick flowers, I love a complex variety of colours and textures in my arrangements. I find that's the key in any flower arrangement, wildflowers or store bought varieties.
    Furthermore, for me, nothing cheers me up like flowers in the house. I put them in the bathroom, on my bedside table, on the kitchen counter. Why wait for a man to send you flowers?? You'll be waiting a long time, trust me ladies. You need to take matters into your own hands, and get yourself some damn flowers!! You deserve it. Even just a sprig of lavender in a small vase or a single rose floating in a bowl. It's a bit luxurious, a bit of a splurge.
  If you are lucky enough to live on a farm, or are ambitious enough to take a drive through the country, you will be amazed at how many flowers you can find snuggling in the tall grass. And speaking of grass, there's nothing wrong with combining grasses or other greenery in with your flowers. They add one more dimension to your arrangment.
   If you live in the city, there's absolutely nothing wrong with grocery store flowers. Yes, greenhouse flowers are usually a little better quality, but they're more expensive, so don't feel bad about snagging a great deal while picking up milk or bread. I usually grab a couple different kinds of flowers, such as Lillies and Astroemeria, or Orchids and Pussywillows, and arrange them myself in a vase or jar.. The combinations are endless, just use your imagination!

No comments:

Post a Comment